The 1-D-1 Ag Valuation is the tax code definition of what most people refer to as a "Ag exemption."  There's really no such thing as an "Ag exemption" but that’s what most people call it; it's really a special valuation. There are different types of Ag valuations depending on your agricultural activity.  Each category will have a slightly different Ag value. For our purposes, we're only referring to Beekeeping.

The Texas Constitution and Tax Code allow certain types of farm and ranch land to be appraised based on the land's agricultural productivity value, rather than market value.

According to the Texas Comptroller, “Landowners can apply for special appraisal based on the property's productivity value. The land's ability to produce agricultural or timber products determines the productivity value, which is usually lower than market value. Land used to manage wildlife may also qualify for special use appraisal.”


How much can I expect to save?

Tax rates can vary from year to year. That said, we have one client in Colleyville that is saving around $33,500 per year in taxes. Their tax rate dropped from $172,000 per acre to $495 per acre. And no that's not a typo.

Another customer in Westlake will see their tax rate fall from $195,631 per acre to $38.00 per acre.

Once we know your address we work with the TAD and DentonCAD to provide you rough numbers regarding the drop in your tax rate.

How many Acres do I need to qualify in Tarrant County?

  • Acreage Requirements: 6-20 acres once homestead is subtracted. So you will need at least 6 acres as one is set aside for your homestead.
  • Number of Hives: Minimum of 6. The hives must be active and located on the property at least 7 months of the year. January 1st thru December 31st.
    Note: We leave the bee on-property all year long and never move the hives.
  • Water Source: There must be a useable water source within 1/4 mile of the hives

How long does it take to qualify?

The owner/taxpayer must show a 5-year history of beekeeping. This includes all paperwork. 

Do you help with the paperwork?

Yes absolutely! Working with our contacts at both Tarrant Appraisal District (TAD) and Denton Central Appraisal District (CAD), we'll show you how financially you will benefit once you qualify. We will put together a comprehensive plan that walks you through the whole process. We also provide you all necessary receipts and satellite imagery.

Do I have to sign a contract?

Yes. We have a contract that protects you and us in this partnership. We take our fiducial responsibilities very serious and will never bring your qualification into question.


The property must be suitable for honey bees and beekeeping. Bee Sweet Honey will need unrestricted access to the bees. A vehicle must be able to access the area where the hives are located and park no further than 20 yards from the hive location. We retain 100% ownership of bees, beekeeping supplies, bee-related products, beekeeping equipments, and other items necessary to care for the hives.